Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Obsession #4: Barefoot running

I hurt my knee at an earlier (undocumented) obsession attempt of just running. And since that day I felt that even though I though I would hate running (as there was no stimuli) I actually liked it. And I tried again and again, and even if I used to run 20+ km I wasn't able to do 3 km before it started to hurt... And one day I started to read a book - Born to Run. The book started with a story that sounded like mine - that the author hurt himself and wanted to get out in the track again. And he found barefoot running. I felt: Obsession Time!

So I went and bought a pair of Vibram Five Fingers - and started running. 

Excruciating pain in my calves told me that I wasn't use to run that way - BUT - I had no pain in my knees and the pain in my calves (even if it was burning and intense) passed after a day or two - and felt more "natural". (And yes, I started a bit too intense.) Then I read & watched everything I could find - some good video clips (Nature Magazine,  Terra PlanaTED) and an OK book (The Barefoot Running Book - main takeaway: run with a big necklace or key strap and run so that it does not bounce).

Of course I tracked my progress and I can happily say that I ran 10-20% faster and was without injuries. And realised that you can run barefoot in any weather and climate - I did -15C Canada, -2 slushy snow covered Sweden, -10 two meters of snow Sweden, +25 spanish beach - and any surface - snow, beach, grass, and my old enemy concrete too. No injuries.

I kept running and I think I will for as long as I enjoy it. Even when the obsession resides.

No comments:

Post a Comment