Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Obsession #6: Inspiring the innovators of tomorrow

I happened to end up at a meeting with the swedish minster of IT in March and when asked I spoke my mind - all children ought to learn programming - just like any other second language or creative subject taught in school. Programming is a way of thinking. Programming is a way to learn how others understand things (computers are the dumbest pupils). Programming is a way to create things. The response I got was meek. So I felt that I had to try for myself. So - I gathered a bunch of entrepreneurs in Malmö and we created Mixtra (Facebook, "internal" Tumblr, Youtube) and went to six schools and talked about programming and entrepreneurship and let kids aged 4 to 15 try programming. We got wonderful responses and had a great time.

For a kindergarten class of four year olds - no programming but tinkering (more info on clay here):

For 100+ seven and eight graders (14 and 15 years old):

Most pupils said they liked it (no input from last school of 110 students or kindergarten class of 10 children):



Period: 2012-04 to 2012-08

No comments:

Post a Comment